Friday, January 27, 2012

Kit Build #2 - Reborns Gundam - Part 5 The-Half-Way-There Post




Just look at these babies! All that trouble I went through was worth it. I really didn't like the idea of being forced to leave the soles of the feet parts in a singular color and my crappy paint skills would show even more. At least the technique I used (as detailed in the previous post) worked just as I hoped. Of course, being forced to let the paint harden for two weeks prevented me from accidentally ruining it while removing the masking solution.

The only hitch post-unmasking was the deep empty spaces near the edges of the front feet parts. While this type of moulding lets Bandai reduce the number of pieces needed for to form the feet, it also presents a problem for spray painting. I painted these grooves using a tiny, slim paint brush and extracted Gundam Marker Pen inks in red and blue. The red half was painted without a snag but the blue marker ink was lighter than Tamiya's Blue spray paint. Luckily the side grooves were too narrow to make the paint's different shade noticeable but the front can be seen clearly. The solution was to mask everything but the top groove and spray on a layer on Tamiya Blue to match the colors.

Now here are the limbs in their Painted(delicate) glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment